Report: Imps v Wolves

In a fight to the end, Lincoln City Women narrowly lost out to league leaders, Wolverhampton Wanderers.

In a very physical game, the Imps conceded early before coming from behind twice. It wasn’t until injury time that the result was decided.

Manager, Richard Cooper, made one change form last week’s winning starting line up. Ellie Gilliatt returned in place of Jeorgia Carr.

It took just two minutes for Wolves to take the lead through a header following a freekick. The Wolves player found the far corner of the net, out of Amy Halloran’s reach.

Quick off the mark from the restart, the Imps had a series of attempts on goal before the visitors began to dominate. The Lincoln defense did well to stop Wolves. Halloran was put to work but managed to prevent any more going in.

The combined effort of the back five meant that the second minute goal was the only one in the first half.

Half time 0-1.

The second half was much better for the Imps in front of the visitors’ goal.

Early after the restart, Lauryn Wilcock made a run down the left wing. She fended off several defenders on the edge of the box before equalising with a powerful goal.

Wilcock celebrates with Gilliatt

A couple of yellow cards followed, one for each team, as the competition heated up. Shortly after Wolves caught the team off guard, against the run of play, with a powerful shot from outside the box.

Behind once more, the Imps pushed and play was end-to-end. GIlliatt had numerous shots on goal, supported well by Jess Rousseau and Emily Atkinson - who had been brought on for Wilcock.

As they entered the final 10 minutes, Gilliatt made a great run up the right wing and looked to cross the ball into the box. She curled it into the inner side of the net and levelled the scoreline.

Gilliatt, seconds before her goal

Due to lots of injuries, there were a lot of minutes added on after the full 90. Late into injury time, Rousseau made a great run with a forward pass to Leah Hardy inside the box, however, Hardy’s shot was inches wide of the goal.

Straight from the goal kick, Wolves were on the attack. Well into added time, Lowri Walker found the roof of the net and ended the scoring.

Lincoln continued to push until the final whistle but Wolves retained their unbeaten run.

Full time 2-3.

243 views1 comment

Recent Posts

See All