Report: FA Cup Second Round Qualifying

Lincoln City Women triumphed with a dominant performance against Burton Albion LFC.

The Imps made three changes from last week's winning starting 11. Ash Housley-Stott was out through an injury she sustained in last Sunday's game. Sophie Crosby came in and played like-for-like. Ellie Gilliatt was absent and replaced by Jeorgia Carr. Lauryn Wilcock took Emily Atkinson's place, with Atkinson starting on the bench.

In a very ruthless game, seven different players got themselves onto the scoresheet, including braces from Katy Thornley, Sophie Crosby and Leah Hardy.

Lincoln dominated from the start. The worked well defensively and kept a large amount of the possession.

It only took four minutes for them to take the lead. After a great cross from Hardy was tipped out for a corner, Crosby stepped up to take her first of many in the game. Burton Albion defended heavily, blocking two attempts on goal from Hardy and Mary Cooper. In the end, Carr knocked it in from a deflection.

Jess Rousseau was having a great game and in the 13th minute was rewarded for it. A long-range shot from Crosby looked to be going into the goal but Rousseau tapped it in to make sure.

Just three minutes later, Wilcock made a quick run down the left and got herself one on one with Jones in the Albion goal. The keeper got her fingertips to the ball but it wasn't enough to stop her making the score 3-0.

Again, it took just three minutes to increase the lead. Thornley scored her first goal of the game, heading the ball into the back of the net from a corner.

The visitors pulled one back, sandwiched between two goals from Hardy. Her second with the final before the half time whistle.

Half time 6-1.

The second half was much the same as the first.

In the 52nd minute, Crosby stepped up to take a corner and curled the ball into the top corner of the net. She followed it up by another goal five minutes later directly from a free-kick just outside the box.

She was involved again shortly after. Once again from a corner, Thornley collected the ball and calmly booted it into the back of the net.

Just minutes later, Atkinson - brought on as a substitute for Wilcock - did some great individual work on the edge of the box, worked her way inside and found the goal.

Not letting up, the Imps continued to push for more goals. It was clear fitness levels have increased throughout the squad as they looked happy to maintain the pressure.

There were plenty of chances during the closing minutes and the keeper was tested, picking up her performance. However, no more goals were scored.

Full time 10-1.

Hear from Manager, Richard Cooper:

152 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All