Lincoln through to FA Cup Second Round - Report

Lincoln City Women made it through to the Second Round of the FA Cup, beating Leek Town 2-1.

The Imps kept last week's winning starting lineup after beating Sporting Khalsa 4-0 in the FAWNL Midlands Division.

Leek Town took the lead in the first half before Amy Blinkhorn pulled one back in the second. In the scrappy extra time, Abbie Murrell won the game for Lincoln.

In a game rife with injuries and fouls, the team got off to a strong start. The Imps had three shots on target in the opening few minutes and dominated the first 15 minutes of the game, forcing numerous saves from the Leek goalkeeper.

Play soon levelled out, with the hosts becoming more forceful but their keeper continued to be tested by the Imps.

The score at the break was 1-0 to the hosts.

The second half was much the same as the first, with both teams taking their chances but play was scrappy.

Lincoln levelled in the 72nd minute following an Eden Pedersen corner. Murrell headed the ball towards the goal and it fell to Blinkhorn in the goal-mouth, who chipped it in.

Pedersen had the chance to give the Imps the lead in the 82nd minute when a handball resulted in a penalty. The goalkeeper jumped the right way and celebrated keeping her team in the game.

In a tense final ten minutes of the 90, both teams continued to push. The Imps' attempts repeatedly went wide and extra time was forced.

Murrell gave Lincoln the lead again 7 minutes into extra time. While the goalkeeper was far out of her goal, Chloe Brock-Taylor sent the ball forward to Murrell, who chipped it high over the keeper and into the back of the net.

Play was increasingly aggressive as the hosts fought to get themselves back into the game but they were unable to perform in front of goal and Lincoln took the victory.

The final score was 2-1 to the Imps.

Manager, Richard Cooper said: "We've made hard work of it today. They were very dogged, very aggressive, determined team. They made it very difficult for us and fair play to them because they really worked hard.

"Their style of play disrupted the flow of the game and how we wanted to play, full credit to them. I think it just shows the attitude and determination of our team to come through the hardship and see the game out, they fully deserved the win."

The draw for the Second Round takes place live tomorrow at 4:30pm on talkSPORT 2.

281 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All